Do you enjoy playing entertaining video games with friends? A decent approach to do both is to record your screen. You might also wish to record specific screen activity in Windows if you’re making a presentation, a how-to video, or something for YouTube.
Screen recording is the technique of taking a video recording of everything that is visible on your laptop screen. Screen recording can be employed for a number of tasks, including the production of video courses, the capturing of online meetings, and the documentation of software problems.
That operation can be carried out using a variety of third-party tools, some of which are cost-free and others which are more expensive. You can make advantage of a few built-in functions in Windows rather than downloading and installing a separate program.
You will find detailed instructions on how to screen record your laptop in this page. We will discuss several screen recording solutions, including the finest free third-party applications and the built-in screen recorder.
Method 1 (built-in screen recorder)
The Xbox Game Bar, a built-in feature in Windows 10 and 11, allows you to record gameplay and snap images. The steps listed below describe how to capture a screen shot using the Xbox Game Bar.
- Launch the program or app you want to use to record with.
- Press the Windows key and G on your keyboard to open the Xbox Game Bar.
- Select the “Capture” button (the one that looks like a camera) from the Game Bar menu.
- You have the option of taking a screenshot of the entire screen or just a portion of it.
- Click the “Record” button (which looks like a circle) to start the recording.
- To stop recording, click the “Stop” button (which looks like a square) on the Game Bar menu.
Once you’ve finished filming, your screen capture will be stored in the “Captures” folder under your Videos folder. You may access your movies by opening the Xbox app and choosing the “Captures” option.
Method 2 (built-in screen recorder)
Windows Game Recorder is another integrated utility that enables you to record games or any other screen activity. The procedures listed below describe how to capture a screen using Windows Game Recorder:
- Launch the program or app you want to use to record with.
- Press the Windows key and G on your keyboard to open the Game Bar.
- Select “Settings” from the Game Bar menu by clicking the gear-shaped button.
- Check the box to the right of “Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar.”
- Close the Game Bar menu and press Windows + Alt + R to start recording.
- To stop recording, press Windows key + Alt + R once more.
Your recording will be saved in the “Captures” folder found in your built-in screen recording folder.
Method 3 (third-party software)
There are various advantages to using third-party programs to capture the Windows desktop that can improve your screen recording experience. These programs offer sophisticated features like frame rate, resolution, and audio input modification choices. You can record high-quality films with these options that are tailored to your requirements. Additionally, third-party programs provide a selection of editing tools that let you add effects, annotations, and text overlays to your video content. These programs can support various file formats, which makes it simpler to share your recordings across various platforms.
A free and open-source program for recording and live streaming is called OBS Studio. Among its features are the ability to switch between scenes, mix audio, and assign unique hotkeys. It allows live broadcasting to various platforms and may record in a variety of file formats.
How to record a screen with OBS Studio
- Download and install OBS Studio from the official website.
- After launching OBS Studio, choose “Create New” in the “Scenes” box. After giving it a name, press “OK”.
- To capture a screenshot of your entire screen or a specific window or application, respectively, click the plus sign (+) and select “Display Capture” or “Window Capture” in the “Sources” box.
- The display or window you want to capture can be chosen from the dropdown menu.
- The corners and borders of the capture box can be moved to alter its dimensions.
- Select “Settings” from the menu at the bottom right of the OBS Studio window.
- Under the “Output” tab, you can choose your recording’s video resolution, frame rate, and bitrate.
- Under the “Recording” option, select the video format, location, and file name that you prefer.
- Click “OK” to save your changes and go back to the main OBS Studio window.
- Click the “Start Recording” button (the red circle) to begin recording.
- After you’re finished, click the “Stop Recording” button (the square) to end the recording.
- The recording will be saved in the place you choose in the “Recording” tab of the settings menu.
Why choose OBS Studio?
- Recording High-Quality Video and Audio: High-quality video and audio recording is possible with OBS Studio in a number of different formats, including FLV, MP4, and others. Additionally, you have the option of recording a window, a screen, or a particular program.
- Using OBS Studio, you can stream your content live to platforms like Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube. The bit rate, resolution, and frame rate of the streaming can all be changed.
- OBS Studio enables you to easily move between different scenes and inputs while recording or live broadcasting. You can include a webcam, microphone, pictures, movies, and more as inputs.
- Customizable Hotkeys: OBS Studio allows you to create custom hotkeys for a variety of tasks, including starting and pausing recording and switching between scenes.
- Visual Effects: You can use OBS Studio to add a variety of visual effects and filters to your recordings or live streams, including chroma keying, color correction, and more.
- Supports Plugin: You can use a variety of plugins with OBS Studio to expand the program’s features and functionalities.